11 May 2012

Postcard from Texas- 2

11 May 2012

Amarillo, TX


I changed our booking here at Ft. Amarillo RV Resort and now we won't move till Sunday, 13 May. We did a little too much frenetic preparation before bailing out of Santa Fe and decided that, if we're going to have a good time, we better get some rest!

Calico County Kitchen


If you're going to get some rest, better start with a good breakfast. We chose Calico County Kitchen where we had a great breakfast served by a great waiter. And yeah, it was raining... the first we've seen since December in AZ.

I had my planned biscuits & gravy which were very good, but not to die for. As I said, I'm a hard sell when it comes to biscuits & gravy. Celia prefers the more middle of the road eggs, potatoes and bacon. So she went for a veggie scramble and home fries. Bottom line, hers looked better than mine! Next time I'll go for the pancakes which are supposed to be excellent.



































Golden Light Cafe

And then there was lunch. I met Jim working the desk when I extended our stay and he asked if we liked hamburgers. Not the usual fast food variety, but the kind that are greasy and dribbled down your chin. "Yeah! Our kind of hamburger!" I wasn't so sure I really meant that, but off we went to Golden Light Cafe on SW 6th. It's been there on Historic Rte 66 since it opened in 1946. I think it's possibly the first real hamburger I've had in decades: toasted bun, cheese, the lettuce was green and it wasn't iceberg, it had tomatoe and relish and chopped onion and was delicious beyond belief. I had bacon and cheese, Celia had green chile. The only thing missing was a milk shake!


No comments:

Post a Comment