10 October 2012

Postcard from Oklahoma- 2

9-?? October 2012


Canute, OK

This was supposed to be a 2-night stop on the way to Amarillo, TX. Sort of a wide spot in the road that is I-40, but for a KOA it's unusual. They have a small restaurant for breakfast and dinner and they have fuel. Never heard of re-fueling before in a KOA. And this KOA has the trademark A-frame office, so this full service park was built by the corporation. I can only guess that at some time there was very little fuel available in this stretch of road.

The park has a lot of trees which will come in handy tomorrow when the temps get to about 80° F. We thought we were through with all that, but... !!!

The truck

This is the note I was afraid I would eventually have to write and sure enough, it happened. Our Ford F-350 truck just died. I fueled up, drove back to the park, and as I finished backing in to the site I noticed the Engine Check light was on. I figured it was probably because we're about due for service so I didn't give it a lot of thought. We came back out an hour later to take a ride and I found I couldn't start the truck. The dash lights come on, but nothing happens when I turned the key. Not a sound, not a blink. Nada.

The KOA office gave me the number of a mobile repair service and I called. Jerry Tosh will be here in the morning to have a look. I won't rule out something easy, but my gut tells me we're going to become very familiar with the Clinton/Elk City area of Oklahoma before we get on the road again. There go our appointments!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment