18 September 2012

Postcard from Pennsylvania- 1

16-18 September 2012


Lake Ariel, PA

This was a fortunate stop. Never been here before, of course, so I had no idea what we were getting into. I had the impression from the name that Clayton Park Recreational Area was a state park. That's not the case. This is a private campground on a huge piece of property in the Pocono mountains right on Lake Ariel. Just a short drive from the slightly (!) larger town of Mt. Cobb, PA.

When I booked I thought it was for 1 nite, but I was happy to learn I had actually booked for 2 nites. The 17th was a glorious, sunny day. We enjoyed the restful quiet of the park so much (we were nearly the only ones there during the day) that we added another day so we didn't have to be on the road in the expected heavy rain on the 18th.

And rain it did! Our rain gauge said we had 2.37" of the stuff but it felt like 10". Walking the dogs was a giant pain, but I managed to get out in slight lulls in the nearly steady downpour. Unfortunately the rain collected right where the drivers door of the truck was located. The rain had stopped, but the water was over the top of my boots. So I climbed in thru the passenger door and snaked (oozed?!) into the drivers seat and shifted the truck enough that I could connect and pull out at an angle. The ground is very solid so there was no real threat of getting stuck... just a problem getting into the truck.

Here are a few shots from the 17th.

All these rigs have a full side view of the lake. Wonder
how many years it took to get thru that waiting list!

The park continues in to the other side of the cove.

Great place to watch the sunset or just doze in the sun.

The season is changing fast now!

The tiny cove where owners launch their boat.
Off to Virginia tomorrow. More along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment