09 June 2012

Postcard from New York- 1

Lost the first version of this... went to the great bit bucket in the sky. So here's a second try...

9 June 2012


Le Roy, NY

The huge transient area. At the far end is an opening
in the trees that leads to a small golf course.

We're stopped in Le Roy cuz it's about as close as we could get to Rochester. And from the number of folks we see here (Rochester locals) it would seem the locals agree.
Parked in the corner of Genesee Country CG

We're in a bull pen of sorts. I'd wanted a pull-thru with full hook-up and the closest I could get was Genesee Country Campground. He told me the area was huge and I'd have plenty of room to get straightened out and then have a straight shot into the space. Ooooh-kay. I had my doubts.

I was happily surprised to see that what we got was exactly what he said. Sort of. Turns out there's full hook-up and then there's full hook-up. What you have to ask is something I'd not had to ask about before: is the sewer connection a septic sewer connection? In this case it is not... it's a grey water sewer connection only. First time we've run into that.

And just to keep the campers honest, the connection must be made thru a garden hose and an adapter ($3.25). The concept is self policing- if you try to dump the black tank thru this adapter, the garden hose will get blocked and you'll have a mess to deal with. Hmmm... maybe this is where the Brown Knee Society was created!

So we bought the adapter and sacrificed a couple hoses and Presto!... we can do laundry and dishes and showers. Looks like it's going to work OK as we can usually make it a week on the black tank.

Dinner out

The subject of BBQ had come up and I guess I had that in mind when it came time to find somewhere to eat. I found Center Street Smoke House 15 miles away in Batavia, NY, so off we went. Turned out to be a very appealing place with great atmosphere and way more ribs in the half order than I wanted. 2 half-orders of ribs and 2 diet Cokes was $38 + the tip... welcome to NY!









Day off

I had planned to go to Niagra Falls on Saturday, but that went up in smoke when I woke at 4 AM with a belly ache. It couldn't possibly be the ribs, could it?! Rhetorical question: if you don't have your gall bladder, you really shouldn't expect to get away with eating a lot of fat. Not sure how many times I'll have to learn this lesson, but so far 10 years hasn't been enough!

Side trip tomorrow

We'll make a run over to Rochester tomorrow to see friends Steven & Gordon. They have a new apartment overlooking the Genesee River so we want to see how the high-end folks live! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment